Who are we?

The Southern Sporting Training Scheme has been running locally for over 60 years.  We were originally a member of the independent network of RAC / Auto Cycle Union approved training schemes. Since 1983 we have been a fully independent scheme, approved by the Driving Standards Agency for learner motorcycle training.

Our scheme is part of the Southern Sporting Motorcycle Club and our instructors are all voluntary members.  Our Instructors do not receive any form of payment and all profits are re-invested to support the training scheme in order to provide a low cost, effective and safe way of learning to ride a moped or motorcycle.  By taking our training you will become a training member of our Motorcycle Club.

Where are we?

We operate from the ‘Isleworth Town School’ located off Twickenham Road (A310), nearly opposite the West Middlesex Hospital’s main entrance in Isleworth.  We are open for training each Saturday afternoon starting at 2.00pm and finishing at 4.30pm.

What do I need to ride a bike?

Firstly a provisional licence entitling you to ride either a motorcycle or moped. A safety helmet is a legal requirement, however, gloves, boots (strong shoes) and ideally a waterproof/padded jacket should also be worn (we do train in the rain).  Helmets and gloves (in limited sizes) are available to borrow whilst training on a first come first served basis, however the remaining clothing you will need to provide yourself. Please contact our training scheme organiser for further details.

Where can I buy these items?

Any good motorcycle dealer or accessory shop should be able to provide you with these basics, although shops specialising in accessories will often give a greater range and be slightly cheaper. For some suggestions as to local shops around the Isleworth / Twickenham areas, visit the useful links page on our website.

How much does training cost?

Basically your speed of learning it is up to you!

For all our training programmes we charge an initial booking / membership fee plus a per week training fee. All training fees are paid in advance.

For the latest prices please contact us via the contact form our Training Page here.

For this we supply you with:

  • A bike to learn on
  • Insurance
  • Fuel
  • Instructor (usually one to one tuition)
  • A safe off road environment
  • Radio communication when on the road
  • Free tea, coffee and biscuits
  • And when qualified, a C.B.T Certificate.
What is the CBT?

CBT stands for Compulsory Basic Training. All learner motorcycle and learner moped riders must complete a CBT course before riding on the road. Also, with effect from 1 February 2001, all new car drivers wanting to validate the full moped entitlement granted with their full car licence, must complete a CBT course.

CBT courses can only be provided by Approved Training Bodies (ATBs) such as the Southern Sporting Training Scheme.

The CBT course syllabus includes five elements that have to be completed in sequence:

Element A – Introduction.
Element B – Practical on-site training.
Element C – Practical on-site riding.
Element D – Practical on-road training.
Element E – Practical on-road riding.

When you have satisfactorily completed all five elements you will be issued with a Certificate of Completion of Training (DL196 or “CBT certificate”). This is a legal document, which serves to validate the relevant entitlements on the driving licence. You are still a learner and must comply with all appropriate legislation for the relevant licence category.

How long does the CBT last for?

A DL196 certificate validating a provisional moped or provisional motorcycle entitlement lasts for 2 years. CBT will have to be re-taken if both theory/practical tests are not passed within the 2-year certificate life. A DL196 certificate validating a full moped entitlement (via a car licence) is not subject to expiry.

You do not have to take CBT again if you hold a full motorcycle licence and wish to obtain a licence for another category of motorcycle.

Riders who have completed their CBT course on a moped with more than 2 wheels or who used a motorcycle/sidecar combination are restricted to riding those machines as a learner.

Once you have your Certificate (DL 196) you are advised to take additional training to pass your theory and practical DSA (module 1 & module 2) tests and qualify for a full motorcycle or moped licence.  Again the Southern Sporting Training Scheme can help with this.

Passed your C.B.T and want to pass your test?

Again we can offer you training by the week. You may either supply your own bike or use one of ours (subject to availability). We can also hire you a bike for you to pass Modules 1 & 2 of your DSA A1 Motorcycle test.

Do I need to take a theory test?

You will need to pass a Theory Test before taking a practical test (either module) for a moped or motorcycle. The Theory Test Pass Certificate is valid for 2 years. Both modules of the practical test must be passed within this period otherwise the Theory Test will have to be taken again.

You do not have to take a Theory Test again if you hold a full motorcycle licence (or a full moped licence gained via the theory test route) and wish to obtain a licence for another category of motorcycle.

What do I need to know about the practical test?

The Practical Test for motorcycles and mopeds is now split into two distinct modules, taken separately.

Module 1 –  Practical Off-Road Test using a coned tarmac area, designed to assess your skills in machine handling & control.

Module 2 –  Practical On-Road Test designed to test your on-road riding skills and interaction with other road users.

You need to pass both these tests (in order) to gain a full moped or motorcycle licence. Like CBT and the Theory Test, the Module 1 pass certificate has a 2 year validity. (See the DSA’s “YouTube” site and www.gov.uk for further details on the practical motorcycle test.)

What are the full motorcycle license options?

There are 4 types of full licence to aim for:

  • AM (Moped) –Up to 50cc with a maximum design speed over 25 km/h but not more than 45 km/h (28mph). Minimum age 16. Note pre June 2003 machines cannot be ridden on an AM licence, only on the old “P” category.
  • A1 (Small Motorcycle) – Cylinder capacity not more than 125cc Power output not more than 11kW and a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.1kW/kg. Minimum age 17. Your practical test must be taken on a machine of at least 120cc and capable of at least 90km/h.
  • A2 (Medium Motorcycle) – Engine power output up to 35kW. Power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.2kW/kg & the motorcycle must not be derived from a machine of more than double its power. Minimum age 19. Your practical test must be taken on a machine of at least 395cc and with a power output of at least 25kW.
  • A (Large Motorcycle) – Engine power output above 35kW. Minimum age 24 unless via an A2 licence with 2 years experience. Your practical test must be taken on a machine of at least 595cc and with a power output of at least 40kW.

Figure 1 below illustrates the different routes that are available to you:-


Bike Licence table - Figure 1 Post Jan 2013 changes


All learning riding and training for categories A2 and A must be undertaken in the presence of a qualified instructor via Direct Access or Accelerated Access. Unfortunately the Southern Sporting Training Scheme being voluntary in nature is unable to assist with Direct or Accelerated Access, although we can assist with preparing you for module 1 and 2 tests but using a 125cc machine.

Do you offer Direct Access or Accelerated Access Training?

Unfortunately the Southern Sporting Training Scheme being voluntary in nature is unable to assist with Direct or Accelerated Access, although we can assist with preparing you for module 1 and 2 tests but using a 125cc machine.

Is my bike suitable to take my test on?

For a list of common makes and models of bike and their suitability for using to take your test please go to www.dft.gov.uk/motorcycle-test-vehicle-list.

Further help for passing your test

Please see our Useful Links page for further information with regards to learning to ride and passing your test.  You may also want to look at out documents “How to pass your practical riding test” and “DSA Practical Test – machine check questions“.